A Summer StunnerBack
This year we have had more to be proud of than ever before, with a huge number of curricular and extracurricular achievements across our academy. Students and staff have gone the extra mile in the Autumn Term, Spring Term, and have redoubled their efforts for the final term of academic year 2022-23.
The summer term has been packed full of enrichment activities, trips, sporting successes, and our recognition of these achievements across all year groups and subject areas. We have been delighted to be able to share these events with you through our online channels and below are some highlights of the term in case you missed them.
Thanks again to all of our students, staff and families who have made this year so memorable and all the best for a restful and very enjoyable summer break!
-Peter Gillett, Headteacher
Highlights from the Summer Term have included...
- A range of activities in the STEM subjects included our Chemistry Club making slime and lava lamps, Sixth Form students taking part in the Chemistry Olympiad and experiencing pharmacology in virtual reality, robotics competitions for Sixth Form and for GCSE students, and the 'Girls Into Electronics' festival.
- Students showed their creativity in our production of Treasure Island, having their mini-sagas published, and participating in the Herts Music Gala, demonstrating their cooking talent. We were proud to share with you our Year 13 Art students incredible work on the theme of 'Simple vs. Complex'.
- In Sports we saw successes at District Athletics, District Rounders, and basketball. Year 8 took part in the Race for Life, Year 7 & 8 became cricket leaders, and our Year 7 netball team received new netball dresses. We also saw fantastic competitions in dance and in chess, and our Chess Club welcomed Bentley Wood High School for its first ever friendly.
- Special events at the Academy included our Outdoor Learning Day with students creating art of House Birds, our cake celebration of the Coronation, and our annual 'We Are Hertswood' wellbeing and diversity forum. Students enjoyed a series of assemblies on technology, and participated in 'Thank a Teacher day'.
- Some of the many trips underway included the Back to the Future musical, the challenging Nuclear Races course, a lecture-concert for GCSE Music, and the Girls' Rugby Festival.
- We celebrated the hard work of our Year 11 and Year 13 students in their leavers' events, and effort and achievement in Years 7-10 was recognised at our Awards Evenings. We congratulated Kacee on her success in the League Cup, and Morgan on his acceptance into Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia.
- Just this week students took part in our Sports Day, participating in a range of team sports and athletics events.
- We announced the enormous upgrades to Hertswood's theatre facilities which will be underway this summer, to benefit the school and the local community.
If you would like to keep up to date with news and pictures from the Academy during 2023-24 and beyond, be sure to find and follow us on our socials: