- News & Events
- Spring 2023 Wrap Up
Spring 2023 Wrap UpBack
As we all look forward to the Easter break, we look back on an incredibly full and exciting term for the Academy and its community, including a wealth of activities, events and trips.
Below are some of the highlights from the spring term of 2023. Click the links to read more if you missed any, and enjoy a selection of images below.
-Peter Gillett, Headteacher
- Our Chess club, new this year, continue on with intense competition.
- Our Parent Teacher Association celebrated its first fund-raising event with a Popcorn & Pyjama Party.
- In the Arts, we were proud to be recognised as a Music Mark School, enjoyed great photography work in our 'Exploration' challenge, and shared the stitching works of our Year 8 DT students.
- We welcomed guest speakers so that our students could learn more about the Holocaust, and our students shared their thoughts with their own Holocaust memorial candles. A group of A Level History students also had the incredible opportunity to visit Auschwitz.
- Our popular Biology Club explored dissection of frogs, the inner workings of the heart, and even took a close look at snowflakes.
- Year 9 Food Technology students shared their traditional roast dinners.
- To raise money for their prom, Year 11 students hosted a Quiz Night for staff.
- Student Librarians held a pancake party on Pancake Day.
- Hertswood staff got into the spirit of World Book Day with an incredible set of costumes, and our Journalism Club students took it upon themselves to learn more about some of Hertswood's teachers.
- Year 9 learned more about Fairtrade during Fairtrade Fortnight.
- Our Year 8 Netball team campaigned for and designed their own netball dresses.
- We had more great sports news, with our first event Badminton fixture, back-to-back wins for our Year 7-8 Girls' Football team, and Year 7 students visiting the 'This Girl Can' festival.
- Things looked good for our Year 7 Basketball team after four straight wins, and by adding a fifth they earned the title of Year 7 Mid-Herts District Basketball League Champions!
- Hertswood students joined His Majesty The King to celebrate Commonwealth Day at Westminster Abbey.
- Year 8 enjoyed a workshop with Herts Young Homeless, about the different aspects of homelessness and the support available.